666 ABC Canberra
666 (formerly known as 2CN) began broadcasting in January 1953, bringing a second ABC station to the national capital. (2CY, or Radio National as it’s now known, began broadcasting here in December 1938.)
This additional station was connected into the national broadcasting service by a line from Sydney. As the 666 transmitter was of a lower power and higher frequency it didn’t quite have the same coverage as 2CY. For this reason 2CY continued to carry regional programming while 666 began serving the local community with Canberra based programs.
In 1957 the 666 offices moved from the transmitter site in Gungahlin to a leased office in Civic and then in 1964 finally moved to the current studios on the corner of Northbourne and Wakefield Avenues in Dickson.
In 1975 the 666 frequency was changed from 1540 kilocycles to 1440 kHz and then again in 1983 it was changed to 666 kHz where it has remained until today.
The last decade has seen 666 embrace the digital age. Refurbishment of the Northbourne Avenue site provided the team with the latest broadcasting technology, thereby allowing the station to be flexible and responsive any situation.